Spiced Carrot & Lentil Soup
This should make around 4 decent servings of soup, so if you are greedy like me it will serve 2 ;-)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 400 - 500g of carrots (the original recipe suggests grated, but if you can't be arsed, finely sliced is good enough)
- 140g split red lentils
- 3 or 4 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- 1 to 1.5l vegetable stock
- 125ml milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Dry fry the cumin seeds and the chilli flakes for about 1 minute. Remove half to serve.
- Add the oil, carrot, lentils, celery, stock and milk.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils have swollen and softened.
- Smooth with a stick blender or food processor.
- Serve and sprinkle with the reserved cumin seeds and chilli flakes.