This page features links to some of the websites that I have worked on, and also links to pages on this site which demonstrate various tasks using client-side and server-side scripting.
Websites I Have Worked On
Here are some links to sites I have designed and produced, or which are works in progress. I will also include some screengrabs of these and other sites soon.
- The Association of British & Irish Showcaves (ABIS): www.visitcaves.com. This site is to promote ABIS and to provide information on each of the member showcaves. It also features a members area, so the members can log in to change their personal information, their showcave information (reflected in the public side of the site) and post memos to each other. The site uses PHP with sessions and MySQL extensively throughout.
- Fula: www.fula.co.uk. This is the band I am in. I developed the site largely using Dreamweaver. There is some use of PHP for the photo viewer, and also with MySQL for a guestbook. I decided to create my own guestbook code to bring as much of the functionality of the site inhouse as possible, and so I could guarantee it would fit into the look and feel of the site. The guestbook also now features a blacklist of IP addresses known to post spam to guestbooks in order to block them from posting.
- Visit Buxton: www.visitbuxton.co.uk. This is the official tourism site for my hometown of Buxton, commissioned by The Buxton Partnership and High Peak Borough Council. Disclaimer: Since being handed over, this site has changed significantly — including the introduction of frames.
Some Scripting Examples
This is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all I have achieved using server-side and client-side scripting. Rather, the examples are generally solutions to problems people have posted to usenet groups, or occasionally something I have knocked up for my own amusement!
Note that while I redevelop this site, the examples are not currently linked. This is not yet a live site and is still a work in progress. The links will be set up soon.
- Change Title: This demonstrates how to change the title of the parent page — useful for framed pages.
- Set Field Focus: This will set the focus of a form field, unless the user has already started entering information into the form while the page was loading. This solution is featured in the FAQ's for the alt.html newsgroup: www.html-faq.com/htmlforms/?entryfocus.
Server-Side Solutions Using PHP
- Image Check: This uses PHP to check if an image exists on the server before displaying it, otherwise a default image is shown instead.
- Format Number: This demonstrates the use of the printf() statement in PHP to format the display of a number.
- Alternate Row Colours: This demonstrates the use of PHP to dynamically draw table rows with alternating colours.
- Auto-Thumbnail: This uses PHP's image functions to auto-create thumbnails of images and display them on the page.
- See also Thumbtastic from the client-side examples above, which also uses PHP