Name: Nigel Moss
Date of Birth: 21 December 1968
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org (Full contact details are available. Please email for this.)
Educated to secondary education level at Buxton College Comprehensive School, Buxton (1980 to 1985), and further education level at High Peak College of Further Education, Buxton (1986 to 1988). Various short courses taken since then.
- GCE O-Level: Chemistry, Physics, Computer Studies, Mathematics, English (1985).
- CSE: Mathematics, History, Art, Design & Craft (metal) (1985).
- BTEC National Certificate in Computer Studies (1988).
- C&G Level 2 Coding and Programming in C++ (1997).
- GMoCF Object Oriented Programming in C++ (1997)
- NVQ Level 2 Software Creation (1997).
- Web Page Design using HTML. (1997)
- Java Programming (2002)
- September 2007 to Present: Web Developer for Multisys Computers Ltd - Developing software for websites and standalone software, primarily used by the stationery supplies industry. Using PHP and MySQL.
- May 2006 to August 2007: Web Developer for Textmi.com - Lead developer on what was one of the largest clubbing community social networking sites in the UK. Day to day maintenance of the site and developing new features. Using PHP and MySQL.
- ABIS site uses PHP/MySQL to store and display member caves’ information for public side of site. Also features member’s area using PHP, MySQL and sessions, so members can log in and update their information, post memos, etc. Developed ad hoc from 2003 onwards. www.visitcaves.com
- ASP/VBScript and Access so had to quickly adapt to this technology. Within one month turned site around to list Further and Higher Education and Part Time courses from database, and set up content management so courses can be added, updated and deleted. Developed as employee through Feb - March 2004. buxton.derby.ac.uk
- Fula site uses PHP/MySQL for a Guestbook script — including a blacklist of IP addresses known to be associated with guestbook-spammers to block postings. Developed throughout 2002. www.fula.co.uk
- Used PHP/MySQL for photo galleries on my own site, to store title, descriptive paragraph and alternative text for photo-viewer page. www.nigenet.org.uk/photos
- Provided assistance with PHP/MySQL code for Imagebank being developed for Kellogg’s, during 2002.
- Also used PHP to produce short admin scripts (eg. Recently wrote script to transfer content of flat-files into a MySQL database table.)
- 1998 - 2000: Software Developer for Linklaser Limited. Development work on SCADA system. Originally employed as a C programmer, I was soon required to cross-train into Java to develop a new product line. This involved reproducing the SCADA database’s management tools in Java using JFC/Swing to produce platform independent access to and control of the database across networks – including internet. Used MMI RAD Tool to develop graphical front ends for customer applications to display real-time & trended historical data. This involved close liaison with the customer to firmly establish their requirements. Also produced Company's web site using Microsoft Frontpage, raw HTML and a small amount of PERL CGI. Worked largely in UNIX environments (Sun Solaris and Compaq Tru 64 UNIX), and performed to ISO 9001 & ISO 9000-3 (TickIT) quality assurance standards.
- 1997 - 1998: Volunteer Office Assistant for The Office of Tom Levitt MP. General office work, eg. filing, photocopying, word processing, taking telephone calls. Evaluation and input of constituents' casework details onto computer system.
- 1989 - 1996: General Assistant for Aircrew Inflatables Limited. Employed at all levels of manufacture and repair of children's inflatable play equipment.
- 1988 - 1989: Temporary Shop Floor Worker for Buxton Mineral Water Limited. Worked at all stages of production and packing of bottled mineral water.
Pastimes & Hobbies
- Photography. I have been an amateur photographer since I was a teenager. I specialise in candids and live music, although I also dabble in other areas. Some examples of my work can be seen in the photos section of this website.
- Music. I play a number of instruments — mainly bass guitar, but also guitar, mandolin, whistle and some keyboards. I have played a number of venues, and have contributed to a number of CD's. I developed the website for the band I am in (Fula) and also spent some time managing the Gig List for the BURBs website.
- Environmental Issues. I am a member of — and Press Officer for — a local Greenpeace Campaign Group. As well as taking a direct part in campaigning, I have organised street & pub collections and other fundraising events, campaign stalls, etc.
Skills & Other Attributes
- Full & clean UK driving license.
- Working to an externally-audited QA standards (ISO 9001 & ISO 9000-3 (TickIT)).
Web Development & Software Skills
- Text Editors: GNU Emacs & XEmacs, Vi, Textpad, Notepad.
- Image Creation / Manipulation Tools: GNU Gimp, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, Corel Draw and Photo Paint, Microsoft Image Composer.
- Development Tools: Macromedia Dreamweaver (versions 3, 4 and MX 2004), Microsoft Frontpage 98.
- Operating Systems: Windows 3.x, 98, 2000, XP & NT, Sun Solaris Unix, Compaq Tru 64 Unix (formerly Digital Unix).
References are available on request. Please email me for more information.